RENE’S MARIONETTES, marionettes theatre company, personifies children’s dream of continually having fun through situations that brings them happiness, mystery, adventure and magic. When the company formed, at the end of the 60s, they immediately conquered the audience's heart and imagination, first in Latin America and then in Europe.
To develop this innovative and attractive concept, the company’s artists revisited the attributes of
classical theatre and combined them with an amazing range of modern techniques.
Their bold design rendered obsolete the previously established concepts about expression, size and movement. From then on, IRENE’S MARIONETTES, have been a reference point used when judging any other show.
Nowadays, more than 5.000 performances have been seen all around the world by more than 2 million children who, if we were to make them joined hands, would go around the world one and half times.
Moreover, IRENE’S MARIONETTES established the standards of movement for other companies thanks to being the first marionettes theatre company designed according to the revolutionary technique of the “flat bridge.
However, this history of success hasn’t been enough for our designers who wanted that the audience enjoyed as much as they did with the show and for that purpose they added and extra doses of fun.
The theatre company, IRENE’S MARIONETTES was created in 1968, in Argentina, by her current director, IRENE MELFI. In 1980 she moves to Spain and performs at:
• Open Air Comedy Theatre, Almagro, 1982
• Lope de Vega Theatre, Seville, 1982
• Manuel de Falla Auditorium, Granada, 1980 – 1982
• International Puppet Festival , Zaragoza, 1983
• International Puppet Festival, Dresden, 1984
• International Puppet Festival, Bilbao, 1990
• Cuenca Auditorium, 1998
• Printemps des Comediens, Montpellier, 1999
• Apollo Theatre, Almeria, 2000
• Caja Rural Auditorium, Granada, 2000
• Jaca Auditorium, 2003
• Sagrada Familia Auditorium, Madrid, 2003
• Palacio del Infantado , Guadalajara, 2005
• Pimentel Palace, Valladolid, 2005
• Caja Duero Auditorium, Ávila, 2005
• Ginés- Carlet Theatre, 2006
• Alcazar- Plasencia Theatre, 2006
• Theatre José Tamayo, Granada, 2006
• Liceo – Baena Theatre, 2006
• Aspe Municipal Theatre ,2007
• Municipal Auditorium, Arévalo, 2007
• Main Theatre , Chipiona, 2007
• Municipal Theatre, Utrera, 2007
• Municipal Auditorium, El Casar, 2008
• Cultural Centre, Guadarrama, 2008
• Cultural Consortium, Albacete, 2008
• Besteiro Cultural Centre, Leganes, 2008
• Philharmonic Society, Altea A, 2008
• Zaidin Civic Centre, Granada, 2009
• San Blas Cultural Centre, Madrid, 2009
Performing at Honourable County Councils, Autonomous Communities, Savings Banks, Town halls, Conservatories and Schools of Music, they have travel throughout the country spreading the marionettes technique with one-meter-tall marionettes operated from above.
Thanks to the pedagogic attention that IRENE’S MARIONETTES have given to all of its shows, it has received a warm welcome by several teaching programs of various orchestras and municipal bands. Some examples of these shows are “Mozart: a Prodigious Child” and “Peter and the Wolf”
In over 40 years of professional work they have received the approval of the audience, as well as that of the specialized critics